We should give all year long. Giving should not be a question; it should be an action, from a simple act of kindness to a life-changing donation.
The past few weeks social media has been buzzing with this hashtag, #GivingTuesday. Why all the fuss about an upcoming Tuesday, twelve days from now on November 27? Because the fuss of the holiday weighs so heavily on Cyber Monday and Black Friday, billions of dollars are spent between shopping and advertising.
Giving Tuesday is a campaign of the people. The concept was conceived through 92Y and the United Nations foundation, and birthed by many advisors hosting discussions about the best way to make Giving Tuesday happen, which is through people like you and me.
The challenge: people everywhere will come together with one common purpose, to launch a movement of philanthropic giving, create a moment in time where the spirit of giving not only raises billions, but impacts billions.
Giving Tuesday is a call for action to celebrate giving and encourage people to give more, give better, and give smarter during the holiday season.
I plan to shine the spotlight on our sponsor a girl program. When you choose to donate to Hope for Hearts, you are choosing to give to girls who are working hard to improve their marketable skills, a hand up and help out. Everyday at St. Elizabeth these girls diligently progress their skill level so when they exit the program, they become contributing members of society.
How can you participate in Giving Tuesday?
As an individual you can:
- Get your family involved. Until November 27, empty pocket change and grab the piggy bank money. Make it a goal to sponsor more than one girl, $240.
- Challenge your co-workers to skip the “extras” through Giving Tuesday. Take the money you would have spent on coffee, candy and cocktails, and make it a goal to sponsor more than two girls, $480.
- Gather your friends and neighbors. Have a potluck lunch or cocktail party. Feature a silent auction where you bid on attendees and/or their kids who will donate a service such as cutting grass, scooping dog poop, washing dishes, folding clothes, etc…Make it a goal to sponsor more than four girls, $960.
Click here for more ideas for individuals.
As a business owner you can:
- Give employees day off to volunteer service to their favorite charity.
- Offer to match a percentage that employees give on that day. Make it a goal to sponsor 10 girls, $2,400.
- Donate a percentage of sales on November 27. Make it a goal to sponsor 15 girls, $3,600.
Click here for more ideas for your business.
Let’s create a moment on November 27, a moment that will carry on past the holidays. Whether we choose to open our wallets and give, or spend time volunteering, join Hope for Hearts in spreading the word. @Hope4HeartsOrg give a hand up on #GivingTuesday. Give more, give smarter, give girls the tools to become self-reliant.
Peace and Love,